I enjoy wearing a red lip any time of year, but when December rolls around, it just feels extra appropriate and festive. I've included 6 of my favourite reds that look gorgeous regardless of whether you're in the midst of winter or going through a summer heat wave. Ranging from the bright and seriously vibrant, to slightly darker more sultry reds, these are some great ones to try out if you're looking for a new red lippie.
- One of the darker, cooler toned reds of the bunch with a slightly blue/berry undertone. The formula is matte but still very smooth and moisturising. Longevity-wise it isn't the best, but the plus is that it fades away nicely without leaving any awkward line around the edges of the lips. A perfect "winter red" for those of you in the Northern hemisphere, but I still wear it in summer too. This is definitely the most luxurious of six, but worth every penny in my opinion.
- A very similar but more affordable alternative to the Chanel lipstick above, with just a hint more pink. The matte formula is smooth and glides on easily, giving quite a satin finish that's only a touch more drying than the Chanel. The longevity is great and I find it lasts a good few hours, although you will need to re-apply after eating!
- This is the newest addition to my red lipstick collection and has quickly become one of my absolute favourites. This is my perfect red and leans slightly to the pinker side. It is just a gorgeous, bright, vibrant red that would look great any time of year but is particularly perfect during the warmer months. The formula is spot on - matte but not drying and with good longevity. It's easy to draw on with it's pencil-like packaging and is just generally awesome. I can definitely see why everyone raves about these ones.
- On the more orangey side of the red spectrum, Hot Pepper is super bright and super long lasting (I'm talking hours and hours) with a liquid lipstick formula that dries down to a matte almost powdery finish. One application is all that's needed and you're good for the day. The only downsides are it can be a little drying, as well as being a bit of a pain to get off... but a lipstick that requires no touch ups? That gets a big thumbs up from me.
- Another warm toned red, this one is lovely and creamy, and just an all round beautiful lipstick. It is one of those colours that really lifts and brightens the face and I love pairing it with a golden eyeshadow.
- As it's name suggests, this is more of a tinted lip balm so is very moisturising and nourishing. It can give quite a bold, strong look if layered on more thickly, or can be sheered out and smudged in with your finger to give more of a natural stain, which is how I like to wear it. I've actually received quite a number of compliments about this particular colour and it's one of my most worn because it's just so easy and low maintenance. The only downside is it can be quite difficult to get in Australia (I picked mine up from Sephora in Malaysia), but if you can get your hands on it it's a great one to try.
L-R - Chanel "La Sensuelle", Nars "Dragon Girl", Fresh Sugar Cherry Lip Treatment, Revlon "Fire and Ice", Revlon "Standout", Bourjois "Hot Pepper"
What's your favourite red lipstick?